Monday, May 30, 2011

Well it's been a little over a week at the studio and I should have something to show for my efforts.  Actually things are going very well and I'm onto my second piece, so I thought I'd better throw something up here or else get too far behind.  The first work, a pewter utensil set, takes a bit of a turn from my usual clean-lined aesthetic.  It was inspired by the gleeful battle cry of "OOOH SNACKS!" as my young companion bravely rushed headlong into the milling throngs of the after performance crowd at the Semper Opera.  In honor of his courage I've titled it "Stephan's Barbarian Snack Set".  As starving grad students everywhere would attest, a set of armaments such as this is sorely needed.


Consisting of three pieces.  The fork is a blunt, spade-like form with three trowel shaped prongs and is used to hold down the squirming victim, the long narrow neck of the spoon is for probing deep within and scooping out the entrails, the double edged blade of the knife with its' deep groove allows the creamy filling to flow freely.



If one were to enjoy over analyzing the possible multiple layers of meaning in a work, one could see the piece as simply a response to the vast medieval armaments collection of the Rustkammer, or even possibly a gut-level commentary to the overabundance of garish riches recently viewed at the Dresden royal treasury.

But, as a baser metal used mostly for gross utilitarian tools (or worse yet cheap tourist tchotchkes), pewter has something of the barbarian stigma to it and I must admit I do get some small, smug pleasure seeing the horrified look in local jewelers eyes when I tell them I work with pewter.  It has virtually chased Patrice out of the shared studio space.  Admittedly pewter and silver reactively get along like oil and vinegar, that is if the vinegar were to attack, corrode, and cause deep pitting in the oil when mixed.  But I keep a clean studio and after six years of working with them together have never had a problem.  Like most barbarians, pewter gets a bad rap.  I can related somehow, and will try not to take offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment