Monday, May 23, 2011



Not particularly inviting.  Some might even say foreboding.  But, this has been my only view of the cellar studio for nearly two weeks as I happily distracted myself with the many impressive diversions of Dresden tourism.  Truth be told, I was beginning to get a little bit antsy about seeing what was waiting for me on the other side of the door and starting my work.  


So imagine my delight/relief when upon the arrival of Patrice this was revealed.  Not a medieval torture chamber, (though you could get a quick confession with many of these tools), but a cheerful and modern studio with all the conveniences of home.  And better stocked than I could have wished for.  Even to the point of making a good percentage of my tool packing labors somewhat redundant.  But I do like to have my own well loved tools when working on a new project.  I was very impressed.  After getting a quick once over of the main aspects of the studio by Patrice, I was left to happily root around and set up my little corner.  



The first thing that caught my attention was a lovely giant anvil topped off with a jaunty little tinkers' anvil.  I can't tell you how close I came to spending a small fortune to acquire one from Canada to bring with me.  That was the nearest vender.  It's German made of course.  Above this is a large collection of hammers (even including a few oddball ones made of horn and a long necked one for reaching deep inside a vessel).  



Next was the giant stump with one of the largest leg vises (about 4 foot high) I've run across.  They are mostly used by blacksmiths so a bit unexpected, but pleasant surprise.  I was somewhat taken aback at the prospect of someone having to negotiate the log down the stairs of the studio.  This was until I noticed that the log had been carefully bisected then reassembled with metal strapping.  Still this must have been a major undertaking.  On the shelves behind the vises are neatly arranged rows of stakes and mandrels used for forming, including two more extra tinkers' anvils.  They must have a surplus around here.  If one were prone to weeping.....        

This was all very inspirational.  My first project will be to begin to work with some of the pewter ingots I cast before I left Ohio.  More on that later.  Until then I'm just thrilled to be in such a great studio space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment