Thursday, May 5, 2011

After packing and repacking numerous times, discarding most of the larger items I was hoping to drag along, scaling down on the size of my tool box, and using my bathroom scale to try to keep under the 50 lbs weight limit (before penalties are incurred) imposed by the airlines, I think I'm almost ready.  Yes I'm probably over thinking things, but I want to make sure I can get the work done I've prepared for and still be flexible enough if different opportunities arise.  All while keeping within my budget.

Part of the problem is that my studio accommodations are still somewhat nebulous.  Instead of the studio space at the artist co-op I was initially offered I have been relocated to the basement studio of a small art jewelery store in a pedestrian mall.    

There are many pros to this shift...... ready access to a gas/torch supply and tools, being centrally located in a scenic part of town, and the camaraderie of my fellow artisans.

A few possible cons....... available tool set totally unsuited to my needs and I will have to buy what I left sitting at home, possible windowless basement, and the camaraderie of my fellow artisans (I've gotten very used to the luxury of a monastic studio life of quiet contemplation).  What also needs to be considered is for how long will my hosts enjoy having the mind numbing clanging of metal against metal emanating from below?  So contemplating a possible exit strategy is not totally uncalled for.

Only the most essential tools.  I think.
Another factor in determining my tool set is even though Dresden has one of the densest concentrations of jewelers/metalworkers in Germany there seems to be no basic supply store in town and most order what they need on-line.  The lag time waiting for orders and the inability to impulse buy when the mood strikes may turn out to be somewhat limiting.  Hardware stores are readily available, but do not stock the unique tools of my trade.  My initial impulse to bring along my electric drill (4 lbs) to create a sturdy hammer table upon which to work, and my table vise (13 lbs) to hold my T-stakes and mandrels had to be forcibly suppressed.  I'll beg, borrow or steal these once I get there.  I'm still drooling over the lovely little 35 lbs anvil I was ogling online the other day.

So, despite all my best efforts the tool box tips the scales at just under 58 lbs.  My 20 lbs of copper and brass sheet will have to be inserted into my clothing bag bringing it to a total of 46 lbs.  I'll just lump it and pay the fines.  That's what the stipend is for.

Determining what is essential, superfluous, readily available locally, or requires navigating German metalworking supplies web sites still remains somewhat ambiguous.  Yet I'm mostly confident that I'm prepared to face whatever Germany has in store for me.  This will be a great opportunity for exploration.  Also getting myself out of my comfort zone will be a good thing.  At least that's what people keep telling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment